R oss B. Northrop, Sr., purchased the Harry Weaver Funeral Home, located on Grand River Avenue, in the Old Redford Section of Detroit back in 1910. It is not known when Harry Weaver started his business but it is believed to have been in the late 1800's.
After World War II, Ross B. ( Blake ) Northrop, Jr. joined his father operating the funeral home after his tour of duty ended in the United States Army. They continued to work together until, Ross, sr. died in 1958.Under Blake Northrop's leadership the business grew and in 1973 he made the decision to build a second location in Northville, Michigan. That construction was completed in 1974 and opened for business the same year.On July 1, 1986 Blake Northrop sold the business to John B. Sassaman. Blake remained as a consultant with the firm until his death in 1991. In the same year John oversaw the construction of an addition to the Northville location which provided more space for the growing business. After Blake's death the name of the funeral home in Northville was changed to the Northop-Sassaman Funeral Home and the name in Old Redford remained Ross B. Northrop & Son Funeral Home.
In December 1994 John made the decision to close the funeral home in Old Redford and combine all the operations at the Northville location. To this day we are fortunate enought to still serve Old Redford residents, Western Wayne County, Southern Oakland County and Eastern Washtenaw County at our Northville location. As we approcach 100 years of service we thank those families we were privilaged to serve and look ahead to the next 100 years.